Welcome to PHY 342 – Quantum Mechanics II homepage
We will use this space to post extra course materials, like homework, solutions, announcements, etc.
If you have any interesting and related links, we can add them too.
- Announcements and homework
- Asynchronous video: Fri Oct 15 – Band structure and double-wells (18:11) | Fri Oct 8 – The helium atom and its symmetry (16:21) | Fri Sep 24 – Eigenfunctions of spin Sx in the x-direction (15:32) | Fri Sep 17 – Angular momentum ladder and vector model (15:30) | Fri Sep 10 – Circular atomic states (12:35)
- Class recording: Wed Oct 20 | Mon Oct 18 | Fri Oct 15 | Wed Oct 13 | Tue Oct 12 | Wed Oct 6 | Mon Oct 4 | Wed Sep 29 | Mon Sep 27 | Fri Sep 24 | Wed Sep 22 | Mon Sep 20 | Fri Sep 17 | Wed Sep 15 | Mon Sep 13 | Fri Sep 10 | Wed Sep 8 | Fri Sep 3 | Wed Sep 1
- Announcement Sep 1, 2021: Class schedule: MWF 11-12; SENG 102
- Useful math formulas
- Hydrogen concepts 1
- Hydrogen concepts 2
- Spin half concepts 1
- Spin half concepts 2
- Spin half concepts 3
- Stern-Gerlach concepts
- Identical particles concepts 1
- Coupled states representation
- Homework 4b
- Homework 4c
- Homework 4d
- Homework 5
- Homework 6a
- Codes and other links
Most codes are in the Jupyter notebook format. You can download it and open it with Jupyter. If you do not have access to a Jupyter installation or server, you can go to try.jupyter.org on the cloud, and upload the notebook there.
Note: Due to some weird, nonsensical rule of the site disallowing the “.ipynb” file extension, I have the programs in .zip and plain .txt formats. If you download a zip file, unzip it to recover the .ipynb file. If you download the .txt file (right click then save), just rename “somefile-ipynb.txt” to “somefile.ipynb”.
- Local Jupyter/Python server (Thanks to Dr Khanna)
- Visualizing and manipulating spherical harmonics in zip and in txt format.
- Eigenstates of hydrogen via numerical solutions of the radial equation in zip format.
- Radial wave functions and atomic orbital visualization in zip format.
- Vector model of quantized angular momentum in zip format.
- Clebsch-Gordan coefficients in zip format.
- Energy levels in a double-well in zip format.