Welcome to PHY 341 – Quantum Mechanics I homepage
We will use this space to post extra course materials, like homework, solutions, announcements, etc.
If you have any interesting and related links, we can add them too.
- Announcements and homework
- Asynchronous video: Fri Apr 9 – Momentum and Dirac notation (13:44) | Fri Mar 19 – Schwarz inequality (15:36) | Fri Feb 12 – Hermitian conjugate operators (10:51) | Fri Feb 5 – Computation: Superposition and discreteness of states (16:13) | Fri Jan 29 – Operator commutators (13:00) | Fri Jan 22 – Continuous probability distribution (7:20)
- Class recording: Mon Apr 26 | Fri Apr 23 | Wed Apr 21 | Fri Apr 16 | Wed Apr 14 | Mon Apr 12 | Fri Apr 9 | Wed Apr 7 | Mon Apr 5 | Fri Apr 2 | Wed Mar 31 | Mon Mar 29 | Fri Mar 26 | Wed Mar 24 | Mon Mar 22 | Fri Mar 19 | Wed Mar 17 | Mon Mar 15 | Fri Mar 5 | Wed Mar 3 | Mon Mar 1 | Fri Feb 26 | Wed Feb 24 | Fri Feb 19 | Wed Feb 17 | Tue Feb 16 | Fri Feb 12 | Wed Feb 10 | Mon Feb 8 | Fri Feb 5 | Wed Feb 3 | Mon Feb 1 | Fri Jan 29 | Wed Jan 27 | Mon Jan 25 | Fri Jan 22 | Wed Jan 20
- Announcement Jan 18 2021: Scheduled class, 12-1 MWF
- PHY 341 Syllabus
- Useful math formulas
- Homework 1a and notes
- Homework 1b
- Homework 2a
- Homework 2b
- Homework 2c (extra credit, optional)
- Homework 2d
- Homework 3a
- Homework 3b
- Homework 4a
- Notes 1a and Scrap 1a
- Notes 2a
- Notes 2b
- Notes 2c
- Notes 2d
- Notes 2e
- Notes 3a
- Notes 3b
- Notes 3c
- Notes 4a
- Codes and other links
Most codes are in the Jupyter notebook format. You can download it and open it with Jupyter. If you do not have access to a Jupyter installation or server, you can go to try.jupyter.org on the cloud, and upload the notebook there.
Note: Due to some weird, nonsensical rule of the site disallowing the “.ipynb” file extension, I have the programs in .zip and plain .txt formats. If you download a zip file, unzip it to recover the .ipynb file. If you download the .txt file (right click then save), just rename “somefile-ipynb.txt” to “somefile.ipynb”.
- Local Jupyter/Python server (Thanks to Dr Khanna)
- Motion of a quantum oscillator, Program_8.2_sdlf.ipynb. Download and save the named program, making sure the file extension is .ipynb (and not .txt), as well as the associated library files, ode.py, vpmnb.py. Upload the files to your Jupyter notebook. You may also run this Glowscript version in your web browser.
- Superposition of states in zip or in txt format. HW 2a refers to this program.
- Exploration of discreteness of states in zip or in txt format.
- Expansion/integrals with Sympy in zip or in txt format.
- SHO turning points and probabilities (Problem 2.15) in zip or in txt format.
- SHO allowed energies in zip format.
- Square well: unbound states in zip format.
- Square well: visualizing bound states in zip format.
- Square well: allowed energies and wave functions in zip format.
- Finding eigenstates of matrices algebraically with sympy in zip format.
- Visualizing and manipulating spherical harmonics in zip format.